Monday, April 26, 2010

divorced----part-1-of-7

.
.
Divorced

Part-1-of-7

.

Sharon------Sharon lived in the partying apartment complex that I moved into when I left Barbara… We became friends, then lovers in a very unusual fashion.

.


.
...Our first conversation was about some nice pieces of pink Depression glass that I had displayed in my window… She warned me that the direct sun light would fade the colors… After that, any time we ran into each other coming and going from our apartments we’d speak… One afternoon when we spoke, I noticed than she looked perplexed…it seems that she was having a problem with an article that she was trying to write… When I heard the subject matter, I started laughing… Then I explained that the reason that she was having a problem was because the story started 20-years ago… I knew because I’d lived in GP since 1951 and knew where all ‘the bodies were buried.’… Then I explain in detail the history leading up to the story she was trying to write… soon she was taking notes…The next afternoon she showed up at my apartment with a 2-page, well researched and well written article, that she wanted me to be the first to read… Her article was marvelous, and she said she owed it all to me…. Without my background she would never have been able to write the article… Unfortunately, her editor didn’t want to anger or offend anyone that might advertise in his paper, so before he ran her article, he removed everything controversial… When the article appeared in print, instead of an extremely exciting 2-pages, it was 2-dull paragraphs… From then on, whenever Sharon had an article to write, she’d pick my brain… At the very least, I’d give her a place to start looking…She would write the most fantastic 2 and 3-page articles that, other than the editor, no one but me ever read… Sharon was smart though…Even though the editor chopped up her article, she’d put a copy of the original article in her portfolio, along with a clipping of the published version… That way, any prospective employers could see what she actually wrote before it was edited… Judging by the new job that she got, it worked…She was hired to be a Vice-president in Austin at one of Lyndon B. Johnson’s TV stations. …… One of the best stories that she ever wrote involved the ‘Yellowbelly Drag Strip’… A drunken idiot (an illegal that couldn’t speak English) had climbed over an 8-foot retaining wall and gotten himself ran over and killed by a dragster at the finish line. … They were the kind of racers that went over 100 MPH and used a parachute to stop… as you can imagine, it took a real idiot to walk out on to the track into the path of a racer running over 100. … Without checking the facts, all the local newspapers crucified the drag strip and held them responsible for the guy being an idiot. …Lets face it; you can’t protect a guy from himself and his stupidity. The owner rather than deal with the press went into hiding… Sharon called me at work the next day and asks me if I could get her a lead on how to contact Chauncey, the girl who owned the Yellowbelly? … She’d inherited it from O. L. Nelmens…the Texas millionaire famous for covering the state with semi-trailers with ‘Thanks for helping O. L. Nelmens make another million’ printed on the side… we Texans loved him for being so gutsy and honest… Sharon was not the type to needless call me at work, so I knew that the story was very important to her… I told her that I’d see what I could find out and call her back. … I immediately called an old friend that I’d known since grade school… Larry D------r and Chauncey had dated for several years and were still good friends… If anyone could get in touch with Chauncey, he could… Because I vouched for Sharon, Chauncey agreed to call Sharon from an untraceable pay phone and give her a phone interview… Sharon impressed Chauncey so much during the phone interview, that they met at Yellowbelly and had a face-to-face interview… Sharon’s story was the only one that told the true story… The idiot that got himself killed had to climb an 8-foot cinder block wall that had a sign with 4-foot tall letters warning people of the danger, to do it. You just can’t protect some people from their own stupidity. … Besides being the dearest and sweetest, she was also the…
.
To be continued...
.
.
... more pretty girls ....




.


.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment